Whether, one owns his own home, or owns some sort of commercial property, and/ or, both, the costs of heating, and energy expenses, is, often, a significant one. While, it’s important, to ensure, your system, is functioning properly and effectively, and is well – maintained, etc, there are several, simpler, more basic considerations, which might, significantly, factor – into, the best way, to address this significant factor. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 6 keys, and areas, which may significantly, impact, handling overall energy costs, etc.
1. Setback thermostat: No matter how committed and diligent, one may be, most people, will occasionally, forget to adjust their thermostat, when it might make the most difference, for the better! A simple, basic, easy, inexpensive, time – tested approach, is to install, setback thermostats, which automatically, adjust the temperature, based on time – related needs. The best of these, have several periods, during a day, when the temperatures, might adjust.
2. Seal air – leaks: When a residence has air – leaks, some of your heating dollars, are actually, and figuratively, flying, out – the – window, etc! Studies, and professional evaluations, have demonstrated, much of our heat, escapes, when there are leaks. Some of the common areas, include: behind sockets; under and around exterior doors, through leaky windows, etc. A simple “fix” is to remove socket covers, and install, a basic under – cover, to restrict air loss, from here. Many don’t realize how much waste there is, from this area! Seal and adjust door – sweeps, etc, in order to make them, more energy friendly! Similarly, annually, caulk, and seal, around windows, and, if necessary, put extra winter seals, around some older, faulty windows, or upgrade, to more energy – efficient ones!
3. Keep thermostat set at 2 degrees cooler than usual: If you normally keep your house at 72 degrees, set that period, at seventy, instead, and, do so, at all settings. Your realized savings will be significant, and, you will adjust to the slightly cooler temperatures. When you go away, even for a few days, reset your thermostat, to adjust, and lower overall house temperatures, to save significant monies.
4. Close doors, and windows: When you go outside, even for a short – period, close the doors. If you open a window, such as a bathroom, or kitchen, etc, one, remember to close it, after you’ve aired – out, the area.
5. Preventive maintenance, and clean filters: Be certain to have a preventive maintenance, performed on your heating system, before the colder weather, arrives. Have all filters, etc, checked, and adjusted, as needed, and necessary!
Keep in mind, these 5 simple keys to home heating costs. Will you become a wiser homeowner?